Thursday, November 20, 2014

LIP SERVICE . AU REVOIR DRY CHAPPED LIPS

The drastic drop in temperature we've experienced this week took quite the toll on me, both emotionally and physically. And in an instant I realized that the days of fall jackets, smooth lips and co-operative hair would quickly be replaced with winter parkas, chapped lips, and that dreaded frizz. We've been dealing with this weather, or what I consider the 'prelude to the polar vortex', for less than a week now, and yet somehow my skin and lips have already taken a beating – most likely due to how sudden the change was. Rough, dry patches have begun to form on my chin and cheeks – cue the Origins Drink Up 10 Minute Mask – and my once kissable lips have been transformed into a battlefield of rough skin.

Times like these call for a dynamic duo that will rejuvenate your lips and remove any signs of dryness so that you can once again compliment your outfit with your favourite lipstick, and not your favourite lip balm. A good dynamic duo MUST feature two things: exfoliation and hydration. To exfoliate the lips there is one product that I will never stray from, the LUSH Lip Scrubs, and there's a rather simple explanation for my dedication; you will never find another lip scrub for $6.95 that works as effectively, and is as delicious. The lip scrubs are available in four sugar-based flavours, and are meant to scrub the lips to smooth perfection and then be licked off when done –  when my lips are seriously chapped I steer clear from the temptation because, well... no one wants to eat their dead skin, right? Gross. That aside, your lips should now feel smooth, kiss-worthy and ready for a burst of moisture. I personally like to match the scent of my Lush Lip Scrub to an intensive lip balm that has a co-coordinating scent. This can be a difficult task since not all lip balms are powerful enough to tackle winter dryness, but lucky for you I've mastered the mix and have a few of my favourite combinations to share.

Lush Lip Scrub in Bubble Gum & Josie Maran Argan Lip Treatment ($23) – This is my go-to  combination for days of 'girly vibes'. The bubblegum flavour is fun and youthful, yet pairs beautifully with the green apple scent found in the Argan Lip Treatment, which is loaded with Vitamin E to soothe and condition lips.
When I use this pair: after a sweetly-scented bath, and anytime I'm watching Mean Girls.

Lush Lip Scrub in Mint Julips & Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm in Natural Mint ($8.50) – If your lips get seriously dry and cracked then this is the combination for you – but be prepared to man up before you use it. The Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm is my HG lip balm – it features the most intense mint scent I've ever experienced (seriously, beware) and has a thick formula that instantly brings lips back to their original condition. Together, Mint Julips and the Intense Therapy Balm compose the dream team for combating sore, winter lips – and the combo is totally unisex!
When I use this pair: whenever my lips feel like they are going to fall off, and before a date – the minty scent remains fresh for hours and my lips are left kissable ;).

Lush Lip Scrub in Popcorn & TokyoMilk Dark Lip Elixir in Salted Caramel ($8) – I almost hate to admit it... but this pairing is so good taste-wise that sometimes I have a difficult time not using the scrub twice just to get a little more of that intoxicating flavour. That being said, this combination is more about pleasure and less about purpose for me. The Popcorn Lip Scrub still works as effectively as the rest, however pairing it with the TokyoMilk Salted Caramel Lip Elixir provides a fantastic taste, but doesn't result in the same improvement in the look/feel of the lips as the other balms do.
When I used this pair: after a vanilla-based bath, and whenever it's snowing outside – the scent instantly gives you that comforting feeling and pairs well with your Salted Caramel Latté.

How do you combat your dry, chapped lips?



AM¥     XO

4 comments:

  1. Lush's Bubblegum Lip Scrub is my favourite! ^ ^

    www.thedailydollyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can vouch for that popcorn lip scrub...

    ReplyDelete